Whether you’re planning to sell your home soon or you simply want to enhance its curb appeal, you’re likely looking into your renovation options. As you’re deciding what to repair and replace, you may wonder — does a new front door add value? Or do garage doors add value to your home? Luckily, replacing either or both of these doors will transform your home and up the value.
With that in mind, you’ll want to know the resale value of a new garage door and what the front door adds to your house value. See how these doors increase home value below.
Can a Front Door Increase the Value of Your Home?
Because it’s part of your home’s facade, a front door does add value to the house if it looks stylish. Purchasing a new entry door especially makes a difference to your home’s value.
When you conduct home improvements, you want to consider the return on investment (ROI). This refers to the added value of a renovation compared to the cost. Complete projects with a high ROI to get as much money back that you put into your home as possible when you sell. So how much value does a new front door add? According to Remodeling magazine, replacing your entry door has an average ROI of 74.9%.
With that ROI, you could potentially add three-quarters of the front door cost back into your home’s value. You could even add more value to your home, depending on the type of door you get and other adjustments you make to your home’s curb appeal.
How Does the Entry Door Add Value?
How does a new front door add value to your house? It’s an essential part of your home’s exterior, and while it’s smaller than other parts of your facade, it has a significant impact. Replacing your current front door with a new one will increase your home’s value because it:
1. Attracts Potential Buyers
With an appealing home exterior, you may attract potential buyers for an open house as they walk or drive by. More visitors to your home could mean more potential homebuyers. That will create competition, which could help you get the most out of selling your house. At the very least, you’ll get more people viewing your home, and that benefits your chances of selling.
2. Welcomes Visitors
Once passersby notice your home, they’ll immediately take in the curb appeal. The facade of your home is the first thing to greet potential buyers. But as they head up to the front door, that’s what ushers them into their possible future home. You don’t want an unappealing door to greet guests, especially if you’re trying to sell your home.
Even if you don’t have plans to sell your house soon, an updated front door will make you feel happier with your home. You’ll be glad to step through the front door at the start of your day and when you return home. You’ll also feel comfortable inviting guests over when you have a welcoming entry door.
3. Adds Color
A new front door is an opportunity to try a new style and an easy way to try a new color. Your entry door’s color sets the tone for the rest of your house and enhances your curb appeal. But you have to be careful with your color selection. Certain shades are better than others, but it will all depend on your house’s facade. You can also factor in your pool of potential buyers, considering whether they have more modern or traditional tastes.
Getting a new door can give you the chance to customize your entry via the manufacturer. If you can’t customize a certain style through the manufacturer, you can easily paint it before installing it. No matter how you customize your door’s color, you have a wide array of shades to select from. Popular front door color choices include:
- Black gives your home anything from a sleek and modern look to a more traditional touch. It can also provide the best resale value for your home because it is such a versatile color.
- White is another versatile shade that goes with classic or contemporary facades. It doesn’t draw as much attention, though, but it would be a safe option.
- Navy blue can be sleek or traditional, depending on the rest of your home. If a black door wouldn’t complement your home’s exterior, consider navy blue instead.
- Yellow is a cheerful color that’s sure to attract attention. It’s more of a gamble to go with this color since not every potential buyer will like it.
- Red is eye-catching. A red front door adds a traditional look to your home, and you can tone it down with a burgundy color if true red seems too bright.
You could also consider leaving your front door its natural wood tone. It gives your home a warm and inviting look that will complement other features of the exterior.
4. Replaces an Old, Worn Door
If your current door is old, you may see signs of damage and wear. Those issues will be obvious to potential homebuyers when they visit your house. Because your front door is part of the first impression of your home, you don’t want there to be any rot, peeling paint or damaged weatherstripping. Buyers immediately see that your property isn’t turnkey and that they’ll have at least one issue to fix if they move in. A new door eliminates that issue and makes a good first impression.
5. Prevents Drafts
Over time, the weatherstripping of your old door may begin to rot. The jamb and the door itself could also become warped or rot, which all affects your door’s and home’s energy efficiency.
Having a quality door is particularly vital in the winter. If potential buyers enter your home and feel a draft after closing the front door, it’ll be a red flag for your home’s energy efficiency. It shows them that they have an issue to fix with the front door. They may think there will be even more things they have to take care of if they buy your home, especially since you haven’t maintained the front door.
With a new door, you won’t have to worry about drafts. Replace all the components of your door that you have problems with, from weatherstripping to the jamb or frame, to help your home maintain its temperature and increase its value.
Does a Garage Door Add Value to a Home?
A new garage door does increase home value. Replacing your garage door has an average ROI of 97.5%, according to Remodeling magazine. That puts it at the top of the list for the highest ROI above renovations like a deck addition or a minor kitchen remodel. If you’re planning on selling your home and have to decide between different renovations, consider a new garage door for the most added value.
How Do New Garage Doors Add Value to a Home?
So how does upgrading your garage door improve home value? A garage door is both a practical and aesthetic part of your home. You likely use it every day, and when it’s not in use, it forms a large part of your home’s facade. See how a new garage door will increase your home value in these ways:
1. Enhances Your Curb Appeal
One of the main reasons homeowners want to do an upgraded garage door is to improve the appearance. Your current door may look outdated or damaged. A new garage door will refresh your home and complement its style. With the garage often taking up around a third of your home’s facade, a new one will transform your home.
Improved curb appeal is a big deal for your home, whether you’re enjoying it yourself or selling it. You want a beautiful house you love coming home to, but what about when it’s time to sell? Does a new garage door increase home value thanks to its looks? The answer is yes — a gorgeous home could go for 7% more on average than lackluster homes.
2. Improves Your Home’s Safety
Poorly maintained garage doors and opener systems can become dangerous. That puts you, your family and your possessions at risk for injury or damage, and it reflects poorly on your home.
To ensure the safety of your garage door for your household members and potential buyers, seek professional maintenance and repairs. This will help confirm if you need a new garage door or opener. Call a professional if you notice these problems with your garage door:
- Not opening or closing: If you try to open your garage door and it partially works or doesn’t move at all, your garage is essentially unusable. A professional will have to check it to see if you have a problem with the opener, springs, cables or gears.
- Loud noises: Grinding, popping or other unusual sounds coming from your garage are signs of trouble. There could be an issue with springs or the alignment of your garage system’s components.
- A sagging door: A sagging door could be a sign that your garage door is unbalanced. That creates a dangerous situation where the springs that help your door open and close could snap. The overhead door is at risk of falling, posing a threat to you and your family.
3. Improves Your Home’s Security
A garage door serves as a point of entry to your property. You keep a lot of valuable items in your garage, from tools to your vehicle. It may even offer access into your home. Don’t give anyone the opportunity to break into your garage just because you have an old overhead door.
So how does replacing a garage door increase the value of a home when it comes to security? When you get a new overhead door, it shows that:
- You maintain your property: A secure garage door is a good sign for the rest of your home. It demonstrates care for the appearance and the security of your home. Potential buyers will appreciate your attention to detail.
- You care about those who may buy your home: Ensuring that your garage door is secure shows potential homebuyers you care about their safety. They’ll feel you want whoever purchases your home to be happy and safe in their new residence.
- You give homebuyers one less thing to fix: Many buyers want a turnkey home that they can move into and begin enjoying right away. If they see a compromised garage door, they’ll see it as something that takes time and money to fix.
4. Adds Energy Efficiency
Because a garage is such a large opening to your home, you want a quality overhead door to keep out extreme temperatures. Around Toledo, Ohio, and Southeast Michigan, winter weather can pose a problem for your home. With an old garage door, your garage won’t have as much insulation as it needs. Newer doors have better materials, insulation, seals and designs to help keep the extreme cold and heat out.
Manufacturers measure how well a garage door can insulate a space with an R-value. This number typically ranges from zero to 20, though you may find doors that go higher. The higher the number is, the better the garage door’s insulation. As you’re looking for a new garage door, consider what you’re looking for to determine the best R-value for your home:
- Attached garages: For an attached garage, consider an R-value of at least 10. That will ensure the extreme temperatures stay out of your garage, which then helps maintain your home’s temperature.
- Increased energy efficiency: If you want to increase your home’s energy efficiency and value even more, get a door with an R-value of 11 or higher. That gives your garage adequate insulation to help maintain the temperature in your home.
- Storage space: If you use your garage to store your vehicle or temperature-sensitive items like paint, you want a door with an R-value of 10 or higher. The better the insulation, the more protected your items will be from extreme temperatures.
- Converted spaces: Perhaps you’ve converted your garage into a gym or office. If you use this area as a living space, get a quality door with an R-value of at least 16. That’ll help maintain the temperature, whether you use heating or cooling measures in your living space garage.
So how does a new garage door add value to your property in this case? Potential buyers will appreciate saving money on heating and cooling costs with an energy-efficient garage. As a bonus, an insulated garage door can also help with sound issues. The door’s operation will be quieter if it’s well insulated, and it could keep out traffic sounds and other noises from outside. Those benefits improve the comfort and value of your home.
5. Protects What’s in the Garage
A garage door adds value to your home by keeping everything in your garage safe. Whether you use the space for storing valuable tools, bins of important items or your vehicle, you want everything in there to stay safe. Improving energy efficiency and security with a new garage door is just the start of the benefits for your home.
A new garage door can have an improved seal along the bottom, sides and top of the door. Quality weatherstripping will then help maintain your garage’s energy efficiency and security. But weatherstripping can also help keep out water during minor floods, protecting your garage and everything inside from water damage. A tight seal with weatherstripping also prevents pests from getting into your garage, again protecting your belongings. You can then use those benefits as a positive selling point for your home.
How to Select New Garage and Entry Doors for Your Home
Interested in seeing how much value a new front and garage door add to your home for yourself? Find a beautiful new front door and garage door for your home. If you want to ensure you get the right one for your house and add as much value as possible, follow these tips for selecting new garage and entry doors:
- Create a budget: Whenever you plan any home renovation, figure out your budget. Look into average prices for your area, and think about how much you want from your ROI.
- Consider your home’s style: If you have a modern home, traditional features may look out of place and vice versa. Look at the features of your home from the roofline to the windows, colors and materials on the facade. Pick doors that enhance those features so they don’t clash.
- Get an entryway and front door from the same place: For an entry door and garage door that complement each other, shop with the same dealer and shop the same brand. That’ll give your home a cohesive look that shows an attention to detail and improves your curb appeal. Choose Clopay® garage and entry doors to create a cohesive facade.
What Type of Front Door Is Best?
To get the most value from replacing your front door, you want to pick the best one. Choose Clopay entry doors for a combination of style and durability. You’re sure to enhance the value of your home and wow your guests and potential homebuyers with a stunning entry door. For a new front door that adds home value, consider these options:
- The ARBOR GROVE™ fiberglass collection authentically replicates the look of premium hardwood.
- The RUSTIC fiberglass collection features details that reflect true craftsmanship and traditional style.
- The CRAFTSMAN fiberglass collection includes simple and clean designs that suit traditional and transitional homes.
- The STEEL collection creates distinct styles with detailed panels and decorative glass.
- The SMOOTH fiberglass collection provides crisp panel detailing, available in contemporary and classic options.
What Type of Garage Door Is Best?
Now that you know that a new garage door will add value, you need to know what type of garage door is best. Clopay garage doors come in a wide array of styles that suit modern and classic homes and everything between. You’ll find a stylish option that suits the look of your home and adds a durable, quality overhead door to your garage. When you select Clopay, you can choose from the best garage door styles, including:
- The CLASSIC™ collection suits traditional houses with its steel construction and long or short panels.
- The CLASSIC™ WOOD collection features flushed, raised and recessed panels for rustic charm.
- The AVANTE® collection includes glass and aluminum doors for sleek and contemporary styles.
- The MODERN STEEL™ collection has a versatile selection of elegant, contemporary doors that you can customize to your home.
- The CANYON RIDGE® collection LIMITED EDITION series includes carriage house styles in stylish and charming faux wood.
- The CANYON RIDGE® collection ULTRA-GRAIN® series provides superior energy efficiency in old-world carriage house styles.
- The COACHMAN® collection features composite carriage house doors with durable steel cores.
- The GRAND HARBOR® collection has minimalistic steel doors that suit a variety of home styles.
- The GALLERY® collection uses grooved panels in steel carriage house styles, available with or without insulation.
Add Value to Your Home With Quality Overhead Door
When you need a new garage or entry door in the Toledo, Ohio, area, shop with Quality Overhead Door. At Quality Overhead Door, we are dedicated to providing the best products, from commercial to residential options. We will provide installation services for your new garage and entry door to transform your home. If your garage door is relatively new, we also offer repair and maintenance services to enhance your home’s value.