When it comes to curb appeal, sometimes it’s all about the details. Choosing the right garage door style in the perfect color can do wonders for a home’s exterior, but simple details are what ties an entire look together. The right accessories can take almost any garage door from boring to beautiful, but how do you determine which accessories are best for a garage door and where to place decorative garage door hardware?
Fortunately, there are some objective rules you can follow when choosing and placing decorative hardware for garage doors. Adding garage door handles and hinges can improve a home’s overall appearance and perceived value if done tastefully and appropriately.
Basic Garage Door Decorative Hardware
Traditional garage door hardware accessories usually come in the form of subtle, classic pieces that give garage doors a more polished, put-together aesthetic. Most garage door hardware suppliers provide the following decorative pieces:
- Handles: Decorative garage door handles are popular options for carriage-style garage doors and any other style that opens from the center, such as a regular set of double doors. You should place handles no lower than shoulder height on garage doors and ensure they’re securely fastened. These decorative pieces not only add charm to garage doors but are also highly functional if installed properly.
- Hinges: Adding hinges to the sides of a garage door — or set of doors — adds rustic elegance to a home’s exterior. You typically place decorative hinges on the sides of a garage door where the door’s normal hinges are — usually near the top and bottom of the door. Decorative hinges are popular additions to carriage house garage doors and barn-style garage doors due to their old-fashioned beauty.
- Clavos: Clavos are essentially decorative nails. They look like bolts, also a popular decorative hardware option, except they’re designed specifically for decorative purposes. Clavos add subtle flair to any type of garage door and are especially popular in garage doors with arched tops, rustic styles and industrial designs. As with handles and hinges, clavos come in a variety of different shapes, materials and finishes.
- Ring Pullers: Ring pullers are a popular alternative to decorative garage door handles that give a home’s exterior a unique twist on the traditional garage door. Usually fastened to the same place one would normally put handles, ring pullers make a garage door stand out and add charm to a home’s overall look.
Garage door locks are another way homeowners can add decorative touches to their garage doors without overwhelming the doors with too much accessorizing. Depending on the style of garage door, decorative hinges, handles locks and other hardware can make an overwhelming difference in a home’s appearance.
Tips for Adding Decorative Hardware to Your Garage Door
A garage door’s design is entirely up to you — and there’s no “right answer” to where to put garage door handles. However, keeping the following design principles in mind will ensure that the end results will be as aesthetically appealing and style-appropriate as possible:
- Decorate according to the style of the garage door and house, so no garage door handle hardware looks out of place.
- Don’t overdo it — let decorative garage door hinges and handles enhance the look of the door instead of overwhelming it.
- Use proper placement. Any hardware placed on a garage door should make sense from both aesthetic and functional standpoints. Talk to a garage door expert for more advice on how to outfit any style with garage door locks and handles.
Quality Overhead Door is a leader in providing beautiful and durable garage door styles to customers in Ohio and Michigan. Browse our selection of residential garage doors today or contact us for more information!