When exploring your wide variety of garage door replacement options, you’ll come across several items to consider, including design styles, materials and also R-Value. But what exactly is an R-value, and is this feature something that could actually benefit your home and daily lifestyle?
If you avoid going out to your garage due to extreme temperature fluctuations, then you may benefit from upgrading to an insulated garage door with a high R-value. R-value helps determine the effectiveness of added garage door insulation, giving your home improved overall energy efficiency and performance.
What Contributes to R-Value?
If you’re checking out a new garage door product and see a statistic for R-value, then that door option features improved insulation qualities. R-value helps measure thermal efficiencies and the resistance to heat transference. Products with higher R-values have greater insulation properties, reducing the transmission of hot or cool air.
R-value is most commonly calculated by measuring the thickness of the insulator — typically polystyrene or polyurethane — and its physical qualities. These values typically range from zero up to about 20. Garage doors and other products with higher R-values have better insulation results.
Importance of Higher R-Values
With so many different types of garage doors available today, why should homeowners upgrade their doors with added insulation with significant R-values? Garage doors are a significant investment and the main value of adding quality insulation is improving your home’s energy efficiency. Added garage door insulation and higher R-values are particularly useful for:
- Attached garages: Garage doors with an R-value of at least 10 can help reduce unwanted air transference that makes your garage either incredibly hot or cool during certain seasons.
- Lowering energy costs: When you have poor quality garage doors or those with an R-value of 11 or lower, you can be losing a lot of your heating and cooling efforts through your garage door. By selecting an exceptional garage door product with a high R-value, you can improve your energy efficiency, significantly lowering your annual utility expenses.
- Improving indoor garage quality: Whether you use your garage as vehicle and excess storage space or have converted this area into useable living space, an insulated garage door can greatly improve the comfort of your garage. If you need a sustainable garage door with steady temperatures to preserve the quality of your car and stored items like vehicle fluids and paints, then select a style with an R-value of 10 or more. For converted spaces like home gyms or office, consider a garage door with at least an R-value of 16.
Garage Doors With High R-Values
At Quality Overhead Door, we understand the importance of comfort and efficiency within your local Toledo, OH, home — that’s why we stock and install the highest quality garage doors from Clopay, the leading manufacturer of residential garage doors.
Several of our stylish Clopay garage doors feature improved insulation and R-values with Intellicore upgrades, a polyurethane foam injected into the layers of the garage door during manufacturing. With this exceptional attention to detail and superior craftsmanship techniques, our Clopay doors feature exceptional energy efficiency, quieter operations and more durable, long-term performance.
Several of our popular Clopay doors with high R-values include:
- Canyon Ridge: Canyon Ridge is available in three attractive designs to meet your exact personal preferences. Whether you prefer classic aesthetics or bold contemporary styles, the Canyon Ridge doors can be customized according to your exact specifications. Crafted from quality steel and insulation, choose from R-values reaching up to 20.4 for exceptional results.
- Coachman: These carriage house garage doors have a four-layer construction with insulation placed between two steel layers and finished with an attractive composite wood overlay. All our Coachman base designs can be customized with a variety of color, glass and hardware options to enhance the existing character of your home.
- Gallery: Clopay’s Gallery garage doors can be manufactured with or without insulation — R-values ranging between 6.3 to 18.4. The steel overlay of these garage doors offers dependable security and home protection for many years with minimal maintenance. Choose from up to 12 attractive factory-finish paint colors and several glass design varieties.
- Modern Steel: Clopay’s sleek Modern Steel doors give homeowners the best blend of modern appeal and quality performance. Select from a wide range of color, finish and window design options and customize your insulation options to suit your specific household’s needs. Modern Steel garage doors are available in several insulation thickness options.
Improve Your Homes Efficiency With Garage Doors From Quality Overhead Door
For more than three decades, Quality Overhead Doors has been serving homeowners throughout the Toledo, OH, area with high-quality, efficient garage door products. We’ve always been dedicated to offering exceptional customer experiences, working closely with all our customers to understand their specific daily needs and long-term performance expectations.
Contact us today to learn more about our insulated garage door options and determine which garage door R-value is most appropriate for your home — call us at 419-578-8700 to speak to a team member or complete our online contact form.
- Benefits of Insulated Garage Doors
- Best Insulated Garage Doors
- Garage Door Insulation Buying Guide for Homeowners in Ohio and Michigan
- Insulation and Wood Garage Doors