As you shop around for a new metal garage door, you’ll probably find that two popular options are steel and aluminum. But which will work best for your home?
Are Steel or Aluminum Garage Doors Better?
There isn’t a “right” answer to whether a steel or aluminum garage door is better. Factors such as your house style, garage door budget and needs may cause one type of door to be more beneficial to you than the other. Here are some benefits of aluminum and steel garage doors to help you in your decision:
Aluminum Garage Door Benefits
If cost is a significant factor in your garage door purchasing decision, an aluminum model may be the better option. These doors are light and perfect for those who live in regions with mild temperatures. Some other benefits of aluminum doors include:
- – Lightweight: Aluminum is a lighter metal than steel, making these doors easy to install. Being lighter also puts less weight on the springs and other opening mechanisms to make these doors last longer with fewer repairs.
- – Rust resistance: Aluminum is naturally rust resistant, making these doors durable enough to avoid rust and other damage.
- – Recyclable: Many aluminum doors consist of recycled materials and go into recycling again when you replace them.
- – Low maintenance: To clean your aluminum doors, all you need to do is spray them periodically with a hose, making them easy to maintain.
Steel Garage Door Benefits
Similar to aluminum garage doors, steel garage doors are great for those looking for a budget-friendly door with minimal maintenance. These doors are magnetic, so you can easily add magnetic hardware and boost your curb appeal. Some additional benefits of steel doors include:
- – Durable: Steel doors can withstand natural elements such as rain, wind and intense heat.
- – Little maintenance: Pre-painted steel doors will look like new with a quick hose spray.
- – Versatile: Steel can accept all finishes, resulting in nearly unlimited design and color options.
- – Security: Steel is a strong metal that will protect you and your home against break-ins and damage and withstand everyday wear and tear.
- – Environmentally friendly: Manufacturers use recycled materials for many steel garage doors, which return to recycling at the end of their life.
Factors to Consider When Deciding Between Steel and Aluminum Garage Doors
In addition to these benefits, there are other factors to consider when choosing aluminum or steel garage doors. Some questions to ask yourself before your purchase include:
- – Which door will provide a better value over time?
- – Does my door need to be rust resistant?
- – Does my garage door need to be durable?
Contact Quality Overhead Doors Today for Metal Doors
At Quality Overhead Door, we offer a fantastic selection of steel and aluminum doors to complement any home style. Whether you’re looking for a garage door to elevate curb appeal or want one within your budget, we have you covered. Browse our selection today for quality, durable residential garage doors.
No matter what type of garage door you decide on for your home, our experienced staff at Quality Overhead Door is here to help. If you have any questions or would like additional information, fill out our online contact form today!
Additional Resources On Garage Door Materials: