When it comes to home improvement, most homeowners are looking for something they can fix or change that will give them a large and immediate return on investment. If you’re one of those homeowners, then a garage door replacement is one answer that will fit the bill. Your garage door is one of the first things people see when they look at your home. You also probably use it several times every single day, which means it needs to be working properly. This makes your garage door a great choice for your next renovation project.
How Do I Know I Need a New Garage Door?
Several factors can indicate it’s time to change it up with your garage door. Making the right decision depends on what you value most in your home and lifestyle, but some of the most important garage door attributes you should keep an eye on are:
- Speed: No garage door will fly open or closed the second you hit a button because they’re large components that could hurt someone with too much speed. However, you should notice a response right away without any hesitation. If your garage door starts opening and closing much slower than it did when you first got it or the reaction is extremely delayed, it might mean you need a replacement.
- Noise level: Sometimes increased noise can just mean a certain component needs a repair or replacement. However, noise shouldn’t be ignored. It’s more than just an inconvenience. Since properly functioning garage doors typically run smoothly without a lot of noise, sudden sounds in the form of grinding, crunching, grating, squeaking or banging can be a warning sign that it’s time for a replacement.
- Safety and security: Garage doors are heavy enough to cause injury or even death if they slam shut unexpectedly. If you notice your door won’t close the whole way or that an automatic door doesn’t reverse when something triggers the sensor, it’s dangerous. Not only can these issues hurt your family, pets and neighbors, but they can also damage your house and expose your home to anyone trying to break in.
- Appearance: The attractiveness of your garage door enormously affects the property value and curb appeal of your home. You may find yourself unhappy with the antiquated look of a door that used to be so sleek. After so many years, any style becomes old. Updating the look of your garage door to a modern design that matches the rest of your home and increases its exterior beauty is well worth the investment.
- Technology: If you see neighbors and friends with garage doors that seem to have a lot of cool new features and capabilities, you might enjoy the benefits that come with newer models and the latest technology.
- Functionality: Certain wear and tear on your garage door occurs naturally over time. Dents build up through the years from many factors like nearby activities and inclement weather. Springs usually only last for 10,000 cycles. Many of these issues can be repaired with little hassle. If your garage door breaks down a lot, however, and you find yourself constantly worrying about whether the door will function, it’s probably time to consider a replacement unit.
- Price: Several qualities about your garage door can cost you a lot of money up front or in the long run. If you suddenly start noticing your heating bills have skyrocketed, there might be issues with the insulation or weather stripping on your door. If you find yourself constantly shelling out money to fix breakdowns, it might be time for a full replacement. Your maintenance costs should never be an ongoing burden.
When Do I Need a New Garage Door?
If you notice any one of the qualities mentioned above becoming a problem with your garage door, don’t ignore it or make assumptions. Call a knowledgeable professional who can come in and inspect every component on the door. If you decide the right course of action is to replace your entire unit, Quality Overhead Door is the right company for your replacement in the Southwest Michigan or Northwest Ohio regions. We use our own experienced and well-trained professionals instead of sub-contractors as part of our dedication to top-notch customer service.
At Quality Overhead Door, we do it all: awnings, security doors, fireplaces and, most importantly, garage doors and openers. As proud authorized dealers for LiftMaster, Wayne Dalton, Clopay® and CHI, we sell and service a huge variety of products. And it doesn’t stop there. We can service all makes and models, including commercial products. Take advantage of our free estimates on any garage door or opener installations so you know you’re getting what you need from a quality provider within your budget.
Additional Resources On Garage Door Tips and Tricks:
- How to Manually Release Your Garage Door
- How to Measure for Your Garage Door Replacement
- How to Manually Open Your Garage Door When the Power Is Out
- How to Keep Bugs and Pests out of Your Garage
- How to Check Garage Door Balance