Your garage door is one of the largest and heaviest pieces of moving equipment in your home. You use it every single day and usually several times — and that means you need it to run properly for convenient living. Having the right horsepower for your garage door opener is a crucial part of a properly functioning door. You need to consider several factors before deciding which opener, and which motor, is best for your garage door and your home.
Garage Door Opener Horsepower
What Horsepower Do I Need: Factors to Consider
With such a crucial piece of equipment, it’s important that you weigh the pros and cons of every component to make sure you’re getting exactly the right door to fit your home and lifestyle preferences. Some factors to consider when you’re in the process of shopping through openers with different horsepower are:
- Garage door size/weight: Depending on whether your garage door is a single or double and what material it’s made out of, it has the potential to be light or extremely heavy. Not every horsepower setting works with every weight. Some motors simply don’t have the power they need to operate a hefty door.
- Opener longevity: You might decide it’s in your best interest, in the moment, to buy a motor with lower horsepower at a cheaper price and worry about replacing it after a shorter amount of time. Some people like having this option while others want to purchase an opener that will function like new for many years to come. It all depends on the investment you want to make and whether you’re okay with ordering a replacement down the line.
- Other garage door parts: It’s not all about the opener and the horsepower. No matter what decision you make, these are not the only factors in making sure you have a fully functioning door. You need to keep track of the rest of the door’s components, including springs, cables and tracks, to make sure nothing wears out or gets broken. The door also needs to be well-balanced at all times so its weight remains in line with what your opener can handle.
Not sure which opener is right for your garage door? Ask our staff to help you match the perfect opener for your garage door.
Find the Right Opener For Your Garage Door
Different Motors on the Market and Their Horsepower
- 1/3 HP: This is the most affordable option with the least amount of power and it typically doesn’t last as long as the others. Openers at this level don’t have a long life — they’re more useful and have increased longevity with lighter doors, like those made from steel. They can technically lift any door with evenly distributed weight, but if you choose to use an opener with 1/3 horsepower for a heavier door, keep in mind that you’ll need to replace it more often than if you choose one with more horsepower.
- 1/2 HP: The most popular out of the three choices, this opener works best with single and double garage doors that have an average weight, such as a carriage-style door. Doors between eight and 12 feet in width are no problem. It’s the medium option in both price and power, so it works for a large number of households.
- 3/4 HP: Certain garage doors, like those made out of wood, can be extremely heavy. These and oversized doors over 14 feet in width require a 3/4 HP opener in order for the component to function long-term. While it’s the most expensive option, it’s also long-lasting and durable with the maximum amount of power.
Whatever option you go with, make sure your garage door is properly balanced at all times. No matter how powerful your opener is, an unbalanced door will pose a problem.
If you’re trying to decide which garage door opener is for you and you live in the Northwest Ohio or Southwest Michigan regions, call Quality Overhead Door at 419-578-8700 to find out more information. Our team of knowledgeable representatives will help you make the right decision. We offer free estimates on new installations of garage doors and openers and we sell other household products.
We train our employees to do the job right and our products come with reliable warranties. Contact us now to order the garage door opener that’s perfect for you.
Additional Resources On Garage Doors:
- Best Quiet Garage Door Opener
- What is the Learn Button on a Garage Door Opener?
- Lifespan of Garage Doors and Garage Door Openers?
- How Do Garage Door Sensors Work?
- How Much Headroom is Needed for a Garage Door?