What sizes do garage doors come in? You may think one size fits all, but the dimensions can vary quite a bit. Not every one-car garage is the same size, and two- or three-car garages can also have layouts with significant differences. We compiled a rundown on standard residential garage door sizes to help you determine where your garage fits in with others.
Typical Residential Garage Door Sizes
What are the standard sizes for residential garage doors? The answer depends on what type of garage you have. Obviously, one-car garages will be much smaller than three-car garages. Here’s a rundown on common residential garage door sizes for the three most common garage configurations
- One-car garage: In older homes, most one-car garages measure 8 to 9 feet wide. They can generally fit a single car, though some are small and only able to accommodate a golf cart. Most older one-car garages are 7 to 8 feet high. Newer-construction homes may have bigger one-car garages in terms of horizontal space, so you will often find doors that measure 10 feet wide.
- Two-car garage: Two-car garage can fit twice the number of vehicles, so you can rightly assume they are about twice as big as a one-car garage. Most Clopay® residential garage door sizes for a two-car garage measure 16 feet wide by 7 to 8 feet high, or the same height as a one-car garage. Two-car garages may have single or double doors, depending on the design of the house. They are priced about the same for the doors, though you will need two openers.
- Three-car garage: You will see the most significant variance in size in a three-car garage. To fit three vehicles in the garage, you need a lot of space, but some garages have even more than necessary. It can be a selling point for a home to have extra-large space buyers can use for storing things besides their cars. That said, many three-car garages have a width of at least 32 feet. They usually have the same height of 7 to 8 feet.
You will occasionally find four-car or five-car garages, but these are rare and don’t have a standard size. For any garage that can accommodate more than one vehicle, you can get one sizeable custom-sized garage door, or you can use a combination of single- or double-sized doors.
Custom garage doors have no standard size. These spaces are often created to house specialty vehicles, so the height of the door will be much higher than the standard 7 to 8 feet.
Contact Us to Discuss Residential Overhead Door Sizes
If you want a new garage door for your home, you can measure your garage to determine the size, or get in touch with Quality Overhead Door for professional assistance. We know how to measure garage doors and can show you what doors would work best with your style of home. Browse our residential garage door options and schedule an installation estimate today. You can also contact us for more information on our selection or installation process.
Additional Resources On Garage Doors:
- Garage Door Lighting Ideas
- How to Make Your Garage More Energy Efficient
- Popular Home Styles in Ohio and Michigan