If it’s time to replace your front door, you have a lot of exciting choices to make — but before you can pick a new door, you’re going to need to know what size to look for. There are a few different standard sizes for front doors, but the most common is 36 inches wide by 80 inches tall. Some doors can be as narrow as 30 inches and as tall as 96 inches, though, so it’s important to find the exact measurements.
Single Exterior Door Size
There is a lot of variety in the size of doors, especially among older homes. Some homes may have been built before there were standard sizes for doors, resulting in smaller entryways than average. Today’s doors tend to be taller and wider to accommodate modern, busy lives.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) states that doors should be a minimum of 36 inches wide. While residential doors generally don’t need to comply with this standard, some do anyway — especially newer homes built with older adults and individuals with mobility concerns in mind.
At Quality Overhead Door, we sell many of our entry doors in widths of 32 inches, 34 inches or 36 inches. Typical height options include 80 inches, 84 inches or 96 inches. This variety will allow you to find your dream door in a size that fits your home.
Other Key Measurements
Length and width are essential measurements when it comes to front doors. You might also want to consider the following:
- Front door thickness: Most doors will be 1 3/4 inches thick regardless of type or style. While this measurement is the standard thickness, it could vary slightly depending on the material of your door. Well-insulated doors may be a bit thicker depending on what they’re made of.
- Double door size: Double doors typically have standard size single doors on each side. The height is usually 80 inches, and each door is generally between 32 inches and 36 inches wide.
- Interior door size: You may have noticed that front doors are typically wider than interior doors. For reference, interior passage doors must also be at least 32 inches wide. However, there are some narrower doors available for use as closet doors. These can be as narrow as 24 inches.
View Our Entry Doors
Quality Overhead Door is your source for strong, secure entry doors that look great and help keep your home safe. We’re a Clopay® Dealer with a commitment to quality, durability and trusted service. Browse our selection today to find an option that works for you! You can also view many of our entry doors as well as fireplaces, awnings and garage doors in person at our showroom in Toledo, Ohio.
We’ve been serving the garage and entry door needs of homeowners throughout northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan since 1982. You can contact us at any time for a no-obligation estimate on the installation of a new entry door for your home.
Additional Resources on Entry Doors:
- How to Choose a Front Door Color
- Entry Door Buyer Guide
- What Are the Parts of a Front Door
- How to Choose a Front Door Style