Do you often find it difficult to locate your garage door remote in your car’s glove compartment when you get home after a long day at work? Are you tired of your teenager continually leaving the garage door open when he takes the car? When you’re not at home, do you find yourself worrying about keeping your family and possessions safe?
If any of these scenarios sound familiar, then chances are, you could benefit from installing a smart garage door opener.
A Smart Garage Door Opener — What Is It?
Thanks to ongoing advancements, we’re able to use innovative technology to make our homes safer and more responsive. You’ve probably heard the term “smart home” before. It describes a home that has security, heating and lighting systems that are connected to the internet and can be controlled remotely by the homeowner via a computer or phone. A growing number of smart homes also have appliances and devices that are connected, for example in the kitchen or laundry room.
A smart garage door opener or Wi-Fi enabled garage door opener is the perfect addition to a smart home. Unlike a regular garage door opener that only allows you to open and close your garage door, a smart garage door opener gives you complete control over your door, no matter where you are in the world. All you have to do is download the relevant app to your smartphone or computer, and you can manage your garage door just as easily from a beach in Hawaii as from your own backyard.
How Does It Work?
A smart garage door opener works on a different system from a regular garage door remote, which operates using an infra-red radio signal that activates the garage door’s motor. These openers, in contrast, are connected to your home’s Wi-Fi system (hence the term “Wi-Fi enabled garage door opener.”) Because your home’s Wi-Fi system is connected to the Internet, your smart garage door opener is too.
Photo Credit: LiftMaster
While smart garage door openers usually come with specific remotes, the most convenient way to use them is by downloading their app on your smartphone. This action essentially allows you to replace the remote with your smartphone, which is highly convenient since you always have your phone with you. Your phone — or the remote, if you choose to use it — connects to the garage door lift mechanism via your home’s Wi-Fi, which allows you to operate the door remotely.
If you already have a garage door opener and you want to upgrade it to a smart one, you’ll need to retrofit your existing opening system. This process is best done by a garage pro who has experience in this type of work. Then, all you have to do is download the app — it’s that simple!
What Are Its Features?
The most basic smart garage door openers allow you to open, close, lock and unlock your garage door remotely. More advanced models offer additional features, such as:
- Automatic door opening so that when you drive up to your garage, the door opens for you without you having to press any buttons.
- Open and close notifications on your smartphone that alert you to any activity, such as unauthorized access.
- Open and close history so that you can see what time any activity took place — for example, what time your teenager got home at night.
- Status check that allows you to see if the garage door is open or closed, locked or unlocked.
- A multi-door controller for garages with two, three or even four doors.
- Multi-user capabilities, so you, your spouse and any other people in your household can use the app.
- A timer that allows you to program times to have the garage open and closed, for example when you get home at night and after you leave in the morning.
- Video camera monitoring — some models come with night vision — so that you can see who’s accessing your garage.
- Integration with your smart home security system so that you can have any unauthorized access send alerts to your home security provider.
A smart garage door opener allows you to manage the largest door in your home from wherever you are in the world, offering you convenience, security and peace of mind. If you’re interested in having a Wi-Fi enabled garage door opener installed, contact us today!
Additional Resources on Garage Door Openers: